Sunday, December 28, 2008

The Start of my Favorite Season

Tis the season for giving thanks. As a child Thanksgiving was truly one of my favorite holidays. For as long as I can remember we traveled to Seattle, WA for thanksgiving at my Grandma & Grandpa Woodward's house. All of my Aunts, Uncles and cousins were always there. It was more than just one day of festivities, it was a whole weekend of food and fun.

Once I joined the Marine Corps I usually had to choose to go home for Thanksgiving or Christmas and I always chose Christmas. I had been 9 years since I had been home for Thanksgiving. Marcus and I decided that since we are spending Christmas at home we would travel to WA for the Woodward's traditional Thanksgiving.

Not much had changed over the years. The location was at my Aunt Mary's and the people are older and more grown up; but the food was just as I remembered it and we still had almost 30 people there. It was a weekend of family, food, and fun. What more could anyone ask for.

The best par of the whole weekend was one of my families traditions of giving thanks. After dinner is over we all gather and tell everyone what we are thankful for. It makes me so grateful for my wonderful family and the memories and traditions we have had growing up. I can see how the same traditions my Grandmother set with her own children have now carried over to her grandchildren and great-grandchildren. It is wonderful to see all the generations grow.

Here are some of my favorite pictures from the weekend:

We started the festivities with a family breakfast at Grandma and Grandpa's house. The traditional menu is pancakes, eggs, biscuits and gravy, bacon and juice. We figure if we eat enough in the morning we can hold off till dinner... :) I think my family just loves to eat!



It is traditional or Grandpa to carve the turkey. He does such a great job of getting those bones clean and boy do we need it because we never have very many leftovers.

Here is Uncle John and my brother Jason making mashes potatoes, my Uncle John is also the master at making homemade salsa and the most delicious apple pie you will ever taste. I use his recipe, but his is always just a touch better.

My sister Shirlee making cheese sauce for the broccoli. As you can see from all the pics, my family does a lot of cooking and I am so grateful for that. I grew up watching all the women in my family cook and now I truly have a love for cooking and good homemade food. I know my husband is grateful as well.

Here is the feast all laid out and this is just the tip of the ice burg, there are another 3 table that look just like this one.


No comments: