Sunday, November 15, 2009

A new, old idea

So I can up with an idea to send my husband fresh bread in a jar. I have been doing a lot of canning lately so I thought I could send my hubby his birthday cake in a jar to keep it from getting smashed. It worked he got his cake in a timely manner and it was delicious (so he said). Then we had a Relief Society class about canning butter. The way we sealed the jars were to cover the jars while they were full of hot butter. While the butter cooled the jar sealed. So I thought...why couldn't I do this with banana bread of pumpkin bread? I did it! I baked the bread in the jars and covered them as soon as they came out of the oven. The jars sealed and they taste just like I just baked them. Marcus said he loved them and they tasted super fresh.

So here is the old idea. I looked online to see how long this bread might last in the jars and remain fresh. From what I can see this has been done for years and the bread will last on the shelf for at least a year. I am very into food storage, this is not a great idea for long term storage, but it is great for the short term or maybe even gifts for the postman or teachers. It is also a great way to get treats to your favorite person in Iraq or Afghanistan.


2 comments:

Three Lads and a Lis said...

GENIUS!!!!

The Poe Family said...

Ok, that looks so good and what a great idea! What a smart woman!!!