Wednesday, May 11, 2011

Something I've been wanting to do...

A few weeks ago we had an activity at church. The theme of the activity was organizing your life both spiritually and physically. One of the classes was about organizing your home and time. The teacher gave and excellent demonstration using large rocks, small rocks, sand, water, and mason jar. If you fill up the jar with all the sand and small rocks first you will never be able to fit the big rocks in the jar. But if you fill the jar with your big rocks first, you can fill in all the nooks and crannies with the small rocks and the sand. Using this theory you can even get some water in the jar as well. The jar represents our life and our time. If we fill our time with small mindless things we will never be able to find time for the big things, but if we get our big rocks in order first and focus on them the rest will just fall into place and there will be no struggle.

Part of this exercise was to think about what we want our big rocks to be. There is no right or wrong answer here. After pondering this for quite some time I have made my list of big rocks. There are some that are daily, weekly, and monthly, some are spiritual and some are temporal. but they are all the most important things to me and they are the highest priority. Some of them include:

  • praying daily by myself, with my husband, and with my children (I am good when it comes to my husband and children, but my personal prayers are lacking sometimes. I am not sure why I struggle with my personal intimate relationship with my Heavenly Father? This is my number one big rock to tackle and build a testimony of!)
  • reading my scriptures daily, personally and with my family (we do really good reading to Garrett every night before bed, but I think it is time we introduce him to actual scripture rather than just his scripture stories, I also need to stop being such a perfectionist with myself. It is ok to just read a few verses rather than a whole chapter.)
  • holding Family Home Evening every week (in our church we set aside one night per week just for family time. This is usually Monday night and we like to get in some kind of spiritual message or lesson into our activity. We are usually really good about this, but I want to make sure it doesn't slip.)
  • Scheduling down time (Marcus and I are very busy between work, school, church, and life that we often go for a whole week and never have a night for down time. We need this and we need to make it a priority!)
  • Blogging more regularly (some may ask why this is a priority? it is because my blog or our family blog is like our journal, it is full of memories, thought, hopes and dreams. I think someone way after we are gone might want to read about the Fleming's life. My goal is to be more personal in my blog and to use it more as a journal. I have also started a blog for Garrett, since he cannot journal himself I thought I would do it for him. There are so many things I forget to write down about him because I know I will remember them forever...ya right! so I need to write stuff down for him that I may not remember five minutes from now.)

No comments: