Sunday, July 19, 2009

What is so special about July 24th?

This is the day the LDS church has set aside to honor our ancestors, the Pioneers. They traveled many miles and withstood hardships beyond anything I could understand. They did it to escape religious persecution and they did it because of their great faith. I feel very honored to be a direct descendant of the pioneers. I am eternally grateful to them for having the faith to press onward and for standing up for what they knew to be true.

I know I am a little early on this post, but yesterday was our ward's Pioneer day and it was soooo much fun! Our Activities Committee did an awesome job (good job Nichole). Marcus had so much fun he asked when the next Pioneer day was. He was sad when I told him he would have to wait a whole nother year. There was great food and great company and the weather was great.
Marcus and the Awtrey kids fishing with their sticks. I am pretty sure they didn't catch anything, but they had fun trying.
Marcus and Wyatt getting ready for the pie eating contest
And the battle begins...who can clean their plate the fastest?
Marcus didn't win, but he had fun trying!
Our Elder's Quorum Pres. got a couple of pies in the face...all in good fun.
Nichole got a bucket of water thrown on her. I think that's a compliment from the guys, isn't that how they tell their coach Good Game?
It was boys against girls in a water balloon Dodge ball game, the boys smoked 'em
In the heat of the battle
Time for Tug-O-War
Boys against girls again, and the boys won again...can't you tell by the determination
Garrett doing what he does...playing in the grass. Such a happy boy!
And the final event of the day was the stick pole competition. Marcus and Wyatt battling it out. I cant remember who won.

last but not least were the rides on the over sized farm gold cart. Our Pioneer Day was held at the Newbold farm. Thanks to Brother Newbold for making endless laps around the farm. The Kiddos loved it. Marcus even got to drive once.

2 comments:

The Poe Family said...

Looks like good old fashion pioneer fun!

Nichole said...

aaahhhh you are too kind. it was a fun day. i love the pics you will have to email them to me. thanks for your help that day!!