Monday, August 17, 2009

Summer Canning

When I was young my mother canned all sorts of things. They were so tasty and I loved sitting with her, watching and helping. I have always wanted to try, but I was a little intimidated. This year with a little confidence boost from my provident living class I decided to give it a try. The first thing I did was pickles. This was my very first try at canning. I learned some things just in a short amount of time. Them a few days later I went to the farmers market and bought 50 lbs of South Carolina Freestone peaches. They were delicious and beautiful. I canned 21 quarts of peaches and made 7 pints of jam. This was so fun and I can't wait to try some other things. I feel so productive when I do things like this!

Such pretty little cucumbers
I haven't got to try any, they said to let them cure for 6 weeks. I have about 2 weeks left
Look at these peaches. This was just what I had left to make jam. I had two baskets that looked just like this
Besides being gorgeous, they taste so good. Garrett can't get enough of them!

1 comment:

Beth said...

Ok, you'll have to pass on your canning tips. I'm feeling a bit intimidated but would love to try canning at least one thing this year.