Monday, July 18, 2011

My most favorite job is the hardest sometimes!

I absolutely love being a Mother. I love watching my children grow, learn, accomplish new things, and become who they will be. Being a mom is not always easy, there is a lot of sacrifice we moms make. I am good with that! I hardly even notice those sacrifices. But somedays being a mom is down right hard. Not physically hard, but mentally hard! Just when we think we've got it down, things change...kids change, they grown and evolve and we have to evolve with them. We have to parent them through all kinds of things. Things that stretch us beyond what we feel we are capable of. Sometimes I wonder if I am doing anything right? Are my kids getting what they need? Have I found the balance of firmness and fairness? Do they know I love them? Do they feel safe confiding in me?

Most days I feel like I am on track, but then sometimes I feel like I'm aiming for the target and not even hitting the paper. Today was one of those days! My nerves were shot, my patience was short, I was running late and boom my world imploded all around me and I was not big enough to step back and look at the big picture. I left the house in tears, my children were in tears. All over something so small. When I got to the car I just wanted to call someone and talk it out. But there was no one to call. My hubby is working, my family were all still in bed on the West Coast, my girl friend with a son about the same age as mine is in Hawaii. There was no one and I cried and cried over the events of the morning. And then it dawned on me! There is someone I can talk to, someone who knows and loves me more than anyone on the planet and someone who knows and loves my kids more than even myself.

I called upon my Heavenly Father, first to tell him how sorry I was and second to ask him how to rectify the mess I had made of the morning. Praying to my Father in Heaven gave me the peace I needed to carry out my day, it also helped me to remember that I do not have to go at this parenting thing on my own, I can have help. I just need to ask! I also know that the Lord will not give us more than we can handle and that all adversity provides opportunity for learning and growth. Today I learned, I grew, and I loved. I love my children and when I get home from work I will take them in my arms and tell them how much I love them and how much their Heavenly Father loves them!

3 comments:

nathalia said...

We are living the life and receiving the blessings! Motherhood has the greatest highs and lows... I was just going to write a post similar to this. You said it eloquently and rightly. You're a great mama!

Kevin Wheat said...

You are a great mother Becky! You're kids are SO well behaved and I am always impressed at how smart they are and emotionally healthy. I'm not a mom yet, but I am sure that parenting kids of different ages is hard. You're right....there is so much to think about as they start growing older, especially now days. As they grow older, their world just get so much more complex! You do a great job handling every situation though and I know they love you and they know you love them! :)

Kevin Wheat said...

That was me, Ellen, by the way ;)