
One of my goals for the New Year is to read more. I have loved reading ever since I was a little girl. I was that girl that asked for books for Christmas, I saved my allowance and bought books from the book club flyers at school. I loved library day when I could check books out. I remember many nights my dad coming in way past my bedtime telling me it was time to turn out my reading lamp. This love for reading has not changed, however, the place I am in my life has put this love of reading on a back burner.
Right now I feel as though life is slowing down and I have more time on my hands. I fill that time productively, but there is usually some extra time. I found I was filling that time with mindless TV. I am not a big TV watcher, so this was concerning me. I found a copy of The Help sitting on my night table. I bought it this Summer with the intent of reading it while I was on vacation. I never did, but I really wanted to. So I got it out one night and started it. Just like most books I read, the suck me in and I have a hard time controlling my desire to finish. I feel like every second I can find has been spent reading....I know if I want to continue reading I need to learn to discipline myself a little better!
Anyways, I finished the book today and first off it was a wonderful book ~ historical fiction ~ and I would highly recommend it to anyone. Secondly, it felt so good to read again. Reading really exercises the brain and it is nice to read something the entertains the brain as well. Lastly, it felt good to finish. I feel like I have started books and not finished them so it was nice to know that I still can finish a book that is 500+ pages. I would like to read a book a month this year. So I'm on the hunt for another great book~ if you have a suggestion let me know :)
2 weeks ago
1 comment:
girl, we need to talk, i LOVE books. you should get on goodreads.com. it's like a facebook for readers, i love it!
if you like history, check out Unbroken. it's AMAZING, it's a wwii story. let me know if you read it :)
Post a Comment