Sunday, November 25, 2012

Thanksgiving, just the Poe's

Thanksgiving is one of my most favorite holidays. As a child I can only remember two Thanksgivings that were not held as my Grandma and Grandpa Woodward's house in Seattle. Once they moved down to Vancouver the traditions continued and now 35 years later they still continue. Thanksgiving for my family is filled with a ton of family, good food, puzzles, games, movies, laughter, love, and gratefulness. This year was a little different. This was the first year the Poes have split off from the big group. Last year there were over 40 people at the dinner table and it was just too big. So this year the Poes (mind you we had 20 of our own) split off for our first Thanksgiving. It was nice. We missed the rest of the extended family, but it was nice to see our family interact with one another on a little more intimate level. It is getting harder and harder to get all of us siblings together so these moments are cherished.

This year we stayed with Sam and Melissa. Our kids love playing together and I miss my sister dearly. It was fun to be part of there family for a few days. We were also fortunate to have my bestest friends the Harvey's join us this year. Since they are down in Corvallis and far away from all of their family we invited to them to be part of our for a few days and oh how I enjoyed that time with them and they fit right in with our craziness. I'm not sure what that says about them, but we loved having them and my parents have informed them that they have a standing invite to as many Thanksgivings as they want to attend.

I wish I had more pictures, but I find at our family gatherings I am too busy wrangling kids, tending babies, chit chatting, cooking, and just enjoying to moment to really get out the camera. So here is what I have:

Uncle Marcus spending some time with Miss Mary. I am pretty sure within minutes she has her Uncle wrapped around her little finger. The kids table at Thanksgiving (I can't believe we have enough kid's to have a "kid's table" Where has the time gone? It was so nice to have adult conversation this year. My little man was not feeling good during dinner and was sacked out on the couch before the meal even started. He woke up in time for the most important part (the pie). My brother-in-law, Sam, always has his birthday on or near TG and this year it fell right on the day. His wife was in charge of the pumpkin pie so she made a special one just for him this year. It was complete with candles for the occasion. The day after we drove up to Maple Valley for an extended family gathering with Grandma and Grandpa Woodward and all my Aunts and Uncles and as many cousins as could make it. This year my cousins Kristen and Stephanie came up and it was fun to reconnect with them. I love my Grandpa so much and aren't my mom and her sister so adorable. I love them and all of them are good examples to me of the kind of woman I want to grow be when I grow up, hehe! And the last picture is the picture we sent to Uncle David this year. His nieces and nephews adore that kid and they miss him so much. They each colored a picture for him, we took a picture and then Mom send David all the pictures.

 Uncle Marcus getting some quality time with his niece. #tisstheseasonofthanks #lovingtimewithmyfamily Untitled Untitled Untitled Untitled My lovely mother and her sisters #tisstheseasonofthanks I love my grandpa #tisstheseasonofthanks Untitled
With all that said my favorite moment is when all the adults and any kids that are old enough to participate go around the table and say what we are grateful for. This is the reason for the holiday after all. I am grateful for my family, all of them. Friends come and go, but family will be there forever and my family has supported me through a lot. The good, the bad, the ugly, and the beautiful. I am grateful for my husband. He is an amazing man and I am so blessed to have him as be best friend and my rock of support. He is an amazing father who loves his kids so much and always strives to be a good example to his boys. I am grateful for my knowledge of the restored gospel. I am thankful to be a member of the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter Day Saints. Having the gospel as the center of my life brings me so much joy and many blessings from my Father in Heaven. I am also thankful to live on this country where we have the freedom to celebrate, worship, and be grateful for what we choose. I hope you all had a wonderful Thanksgiving. I love you all!

No comments: