Saturday, October 6, 2012

I'm up to my eyes, ears, and elbows in peaches

On Saturday Eli and I drove up North, past LA (about 2 1/2) hours for peaches...40lbs of peaches. I canned peaches a few years ago and I am down to my last jar. My family is a big fan of peaches and the ones you get in the tin can just don't hold their weight in comparison to home canned peaches. Being at my parent's most of the Summer I thought I missed peaches. They aren't ready in WA till late Aug / early Sept. I spent days scouring the web for peach orchards in Southern California. I finally found one that carries a variety called "last chance" peaches. They are nothing like the beautiful peaches I got in NC. Those were South Carolina and Georgia peaches and they were soooooo delicious. These were good and I knew they would have to do. I spent most of Tuesday making jam. I got 10lbs of the not so pretty ones for $5.00. I spent nearly all of Friday canning the actual peaches and they turned out so pretty. I had one jar that didn't get a good seal so we got to sample them and they really hit the spot. Again, if you have never tries canning, you should! Gratification that lasts and lasts.

Peach jam today...canning tomorrow and the next day. These bad boys have been done for a couple days now but I had to photodoc them. The peaches in CA have a pink tint to them an they are oh so pretty

No comments: