Wednesday, January 1, 2014

Why hello there 2014, welcome~

I welcomed 2014 in the company of wonderful neighbors gathered around a fire, a glass of bubbly sparkling cider in one hand and my phone in the other FaceTiming with my hubby. It was the perfect beginning to the new year. Well, I guess, more perfect would have been to have Marcus here with me giving me a kiss to ring in the new year; but we will take what we can get.

This morning I awoke to my early risers at 7:00am with a horrible congestion headache and a terrible dry cough that hurts my lungs when I cough. I got Eli out of bed to snuggle with me so I could close my eyes for just a few more minutes. He was not in the mood an promptly crawled out of my bed. I then must have fallen back asleep because the next thing I knew it was 8:45 and Garrett came up to tell me he spilled his bowl of milk and he wanted to know how to clean it up. He informed me that he and Eli ate chips and cereal for breakfast. He said he was sorry I was sick and wanted me to feel better. His genuine concern touched my heart so much. Garrett can be a difficult child to raise some days, so these sweet moments fill my heart and get me through the hard days.

I got up, helped Garrett clean up his spilled milk, and did up last nights dishes. While I was doing dishes I had a moment to reflect on the past year and what lies ahead for the new year. For some reason doing dishes helps me think. I feel like 2013 was a good year for me and my family. It was busy but productive. I accomplished some of my goals from 2013, but not all of them. I am still working on many of them and I feel success in that.

As I sit here with my bowl of left over pasta salad and steaming cup of tea - I type and as I type I am thinking of the coming year and how I would like to evolve myself and my family. I know as we set goals for ourselves there should be something measurable to help us reach those goals, but I feel like 2014 is more about evolving and making life changes. There really is no way to measure that. I also feel like with measurable goals there is always that feeling of failure if you don't meet the goal. I am not in a place in my life where I want to feel failure. With Marcus being gone for the first 4 1/2 months of 2014 I live my life more day to day and in the moment. My days, more often that not, do not go as planned, there is no one to lighten the load or step in when things are getting crazy. So I just have to roll with what life gives me right now.

I do have some things I would like to focus on during this year.

  • I am trying to be a healthier me. For me that encompasses physical, spiritual, and emotional health. 
  • I want to be more grounded in the food we eat focusing on more whole foods and less processed foods, simpler and more economical meals, and less wasting food. I want to add more fruits and vegetables to our meals. 
  • I am currently training for my second 1/2 marathon in Feb and another in May. I feel good about this and excited to continue that journey.
  • I want to draw closer to my Savior and my Father in Heaven through more diligent scripture study and prayer.
  • I want to be a more Christlike parent, more patient and kind and slower to anger. My kids will only be this age once and I want to enjoy it. They need more time from me and they need more compliments from me especially Garrett. I have good kids and I need to seek out the good in them and I need to lovingly help them though areas in their life that are difficult.
  • I want to try to slow down a bit. We still have life to lead and things to do, but everyday there needs to be some time to draw in and just feel the day. Me and my children need this.
I am quite certain this is going to be a wonderful year with many new adventures, twists, and turns. I just want to handle those things with grace, love and kindness.

Happy New Year!

No comments: