Wednesday, April 2, 2014

First sewing project for my boy

My boy and I have an interesting relationship. On the outside, he doesn't need me much. He never really has, even as a baby. I know on the inside he does need me, but none the less he is very independent. He pushes my buttons and tests my patience on a daily basis. However, when we are in the role of teacher/student something magical happens. I also have a very skewed view of the things my five year old should be able to accomplish.

About a month ago we were at the fabric store and Garrett spotted some fabric he just HAD to have. Star Wars Angry Birds, enough said, I hated it, but he loved it. I told him he could get a yard and we would figure out what to do with it. He didn't want US to so anything with it, HE wanted to do something with it. I then had to think of something HE could do with this fabric. We actually needed something, we needed a new camping pillow case. We have one, but now that Eli is using a pillow we needed another. This yard of Star Wars Angry Bird flannel would make the perfect camping pillow case. Going back to my skewed view of the things my baby can do I thought why not, he can make a pillow case.

He asked me frequently if we could make the pillow case. I knew we would need a solid chunk of time to do this. Finding a chunk for me and him that didn't pull him away from doing something more exciting was posing difficult. Yesterday I determined that my son's behavior deemed the next day to be a home day. No video games, no TV, no ipad, no outside time, and no movies. He had nothing better to do than hang out with me so I carved out the time for this project and Garrett got very excited.

I prepped the area and we got started. I really wanted Garrett to do as much of this project as he could on his own. I whole heartedly believe that the best way to build your children's self esteem is to let them accomplish difficult things. He pressed and pinned, he cut and sewed, and he kept going when he thought he couldn't. In the end he turned his pillow case right side out and was amazed at what he has created. The look on his face was priceless and he was so proud of himself. I was so proud of him I know this will not be the last time we sew together.







No comments: