Saturday, February 13, 2016

{ when it rains it pours }

Today I am writing this blog post from the waiting room of the surgery center. Yes, I said surgery center. Marcus had Monday off work so where would you naturally find him on a beautiful Winter day? The mountain. He headed up for what was supposed to be a quick up and back trip for just a bit of time without the kiddos. He met up with the Blake crew and was having a great time with Nigel, our nephew. They were heading down a groomed blue run having a great time when Marcus caught an edge and fell pretty hard on his right shoulder. I got a call from Lis that Sam said Marcus was hurt pretty bad, he thought it was a dislocated shoulder and he was calling an ambulance to get Marcus to the ER to have it looked at and to get some pain meds. I was concerned, but I had to wait till Bubba got home from school to meet him in the ER. I got there shortly after the X-Rays were done. Turns out it was more serious than a dislocation. He has a 3rd degree separated shoulder and he had the option of having surgery to repair the torn ligament or to just let it heal over time. We left the hospital with an appointment with an orthopedic surgeon for Wednesday. That apt was yesterday and again, the Dr. gave us the option of surgery or not. We chose to have the surgery to get the shoulder repaired the best they could. It is a longer healing process, but he will regain about 90-95% of his strength and mobility. This is key for his active life style and for his job an performance in the Marine Corps. So now, here I am waiting for my love to come out of surgery and to start this healing process.

The process is about 12 weeks, 6 weeks in a sling, non weight bearing and little movement. Followed by 6 weeks of physical therapy to get strength and mobility back. I will admit this process is very overwhelming to me. I am nearly 30 weeks pregnant about to enter the hardest stretch with a great possibility that little miss will be coming early. So far I am feeling pretty good as far as my health. I hope I can keep it up and that things will progress normally. The biggest blessing I could have right now is to carry this little girl to 40 weeks. Taking care of myself, my two boys, and now a husband that is immobile is very overwhelming. I was just at the point of being ready to turn over a lot of my daily responsibility to my husband and now, instead, I am taking on all the daily stuff. I do feel very blessed to be surrounded by people who are willing to help. Having three of
my amazing siblings here, awesome VT'rs and great home teachers make this process feel a little less stressful.

In fact just in the nick of time, Garrett came down with a little virus and had to stay home from school for the last few days. Thanks to my VT'rs who are willing to come to my house to take care of my sick little ones and bring me dinner on this very crazy day, I am feeling like I have things a little under control. We shall see what the next few days bring. I know it will be worse before it gets better, but hopefully soon I will feel a little reprieve. I keep reminding myself that the Lord is in charge and he knows my needs and he knows how much I can handle. I feel like he has more faith in me than I have in myself so for now, I will rely on his faith in me that I can handle all this with grace and that I will be willing to ask for help. I tell you what, asking for help is one of that hardest things for me to do. I pride myself on my self-reliance, but now I will have to ask for service. Please pray for our family that Marcus' recovery will go smoothly and that my pregnancy will continue to go smoothly as well. I will tell you that I could not do all this without the support of my family and friends. You all are my village and I NEED my village.

 My love post op, we was doing pretty well here, his whole arm had a nerve block so there was no pain.

No comments: