This post has been along time coming. About 2 months ago we started moving rooms around to accommodate our new little one. This meant I would have to give up my sewing room to the little boys so the baby girl could have the little boys old room. We decided to move all my sewing stuff into the laundry room. It it a large space but it was less than desirable to look at or even be in for more than just doing laundry. The walls were sterile white and needed a lot of patch work. There were these weird semi-built-in cabinets and a parting gift from the previous homeowners - this huge ugly file cabinet that we have no use for. The cabinets over the washer and dryer were hung up very oddly and did not maximize and storage space. And I cannot even begin to tell you about the horrible floors. Imagine dirty, white, and very discolored sticky tiles. There was no amount of scrubbing I could have done to bring those floors back to life.
I was feeling less than happy about having to do something I love so much in a room I hated so much but I was willing to make the best of it. Then while I was sitting at the lab for my 3 hour glucose test I didn't have much else to do except surf the web so I got on Pinterest and saw a post about painting vinyl floors. I texted Marcus a picture and asked him what he thought. I was thinking this could be the perfect way to spruce up this room for little money. He loved it and gave me the go ahead. In fact, by the time I got home from the test he had cleared out all the gross built-ins, file cabinet, and removed the cabinets over the washer and dryer. I did a but more research to make sure I got the right kind of paint and the next day we started this project.
For anyone wanting to know what I used here it is. I cleaned the floor the best I could and primed it with an all purpose primer (we already had primer so I used what we had). I did two coats of primer. Then I painted the whole floor white (3 coats) with Home Depots deck and porch paint. I is supposed to be very durable for foot traffic. After that dried for 24 hours we taped the stripes off. We followed the natural line of the sticky tile so my stripes are 12" stripes. I did the contrasting color a charcoal gray (I did 3 coats of this as well). After that dried for 24 hours we removed the tape and it looked great but I knew I needed to give it a good clear coat. I used a water based polyurethane specifically for floors, 4 coats to be exact and 3 days to cure. We moved everything back in and patched and painted the walls. It was already a huge transformation. Then I got to decorating.I few trips to Ikea, Target, Hobby Lobby, some chalk board paint I already had, and the large book shelf I already had and we were dialed in. I am in love with my new space and now I spend a considerable amount of time in this room and I love every minute of it.
I'm so sad that I didn't get any before pics but here it is, the BIG REVEAL...
I hope you all enjoy and might be inspired to try something new in a room that you find less desirable!
No comments:
Post a Comment