Sunday, August 30, 2009

Child Led Weaning

So I have been breastfeeding Garrett once a day in the mornings. It has been our special time together for the last three months or so. Till this week. On Morning he woke up, I brought him in bed and he nursed for 25 minutes and he was so cuddly. It was like hie was taking it all in, because this would be the last time. On Tuesday I brought him in and he nursed for about 3 minutes and then wanted to play. He did this all week. Today I was going to give it one more try...I brought him to bed with me offered him some milk, he looked at me like he had no idea what they were for. It was like he had never nursed a day in his life.

I knew this day would come, but it is still a little sad. It's like my baby doesn't need me anymore. I mean I know he does, but my body is no longer sustaining any part of his. This just tells me it is time to get ready to have another. I am very grateful for the time my son and I got to share nursing. It is the most wonderful thing and mother and child can do together. I'm just glad we got to share it for as long as we did.

2 comments:

The Poe Family said...

It is always a little hard for me to let the nursing go, I love it so much! I nursed both the boys for 13 months, It's such a great feeling knowing you are giving them the best they can get!! I guess it's the first little step to their independence- Good job!!!

Three Lads and a Lis said...

I know the sadness you are feeling but take great comfort in knowing that Garrett decided that he was ready :). Love you sis!