I don't create recipes very often. I would much rather just use someone else's tried and tested recipes. When I made my February menu I wrote on the calendar pork tenderloin with apples, sweet potatoes, and onion with green beans on the side. Al month I have assumed I had some recipe stashed with these ingredients included. So today after church I realized that I have no recipe that is even similar to this. It must have been my pregnant brain wanting that combo a month ago. I was making dinner for some friends and didn't have time to research a recipe online so I just got out some things I thought would pair well together as sent out to create something.
My thought process went something like this::::
- peel and dice 2 sweet potatoes and place in a large bowl
- slice up 1/2 red onion (chunky slices, onions shrink so much when they are roasted add) add to the bowl
- add 2 cloves minced garlic
- add EVOO, be generous, you don't want dry roasted veggies
- for seasoning I added salt (be generous), pepper, 1 tsp ginger ( I used the jarred kind, but fresh would be delicious), and about 1/2 tsp orange zest
- mix all that up well, place in a 9x13 casserole and roast for about 10 minutes at 400 degrees
- next I diced up 3 apples with skin on (you could peel if you want, but why?)
- mix with EVOO, cinnamon, and ground nutmeg (maybe 1/4 tsp of each)
- when the 10 minutes is up add the apples right on top of the potatoes and give a little stir
- bake for 20-25 more minutes
- season your pork tenderloin, they normally come with 2 tenderloins in a package. Cook them both, you can always use the leftovers for another dish...I am making pork fried rice on Tuesday with my leftovers.
- I seasoned generously with salt, pepper, and paprika
- brown both tenderloins in a hot skillet, I used canola oil, but any oil will work. Make sure you brown all 4 sides and make sure your skillet is HOT. You don't want to over cook the meat just seal in the juices.
- add the meat to another casserole and cook for about 25 minutes or 160 degrees. You do not want to over cook.
- You can add the meat right in the oven with the veggies.
- while you wait for that to roast up get out some frozen green beans, sliced almonds, and some dried cranberries.
- Saute them in some butter and EVOO until the beans are tender.
- once everything is done get out a big platter, put the green beans on one side, the potatoes on the other and lay the pork tenderloin down the middle.
- Make sure you let the pork rest for a few minutes before you slice it so the juices can redistribute. This will keep your meat from getting dry.
- this meal is whole, it is pretty, and it is delicious.
Sorry I don't have a picture. I meant to take one of the finished product, but I was in a hurry to get this meal over to my friends house before it got cold. Oh, yes and it took me less than 1 hour from start to finish!
1 comment:
This sounds delicious! You always come up with some great recipes.
Post a Comment