I am writing this post from the Creekside Cafe at Sundance Ski resort. Me and my baby girl are taking in the sights and sounnds of busy families busily getting ready to hit the slopes. I'm certain while I sit here I will view many people coming in for warmth, bathrooms, and cups of hot cocoa. The rest of my family is on the mountain on this beautiful Utah day. One of the things were were most excited about when we moved here was the Winter. We left the, year-round, sunny beaches of SoCal for the gorgeous 360 degree mountain views. We chose to live where we do because we are 15 minutes from the slopes. My family has been waiting for Winter since we moved here and we are determined to take advantage as often as we can.
Garrett has made amazing strides this year as he is now able to navigate most of the mountain solo and is getting better and more confident with each trip we make up here. Eli is still working on the tow rope a couple hours at a time, but his love for the mountain is growing. Daddy finally invested in a pair of skies this year so he could teach more easily these youngins we have. He still loves to board and has been impressed with the challenging terrain here in UT. Marcus Jr is still boarding and is getting better and better as the season goes.
I have not been able to get Garrett to stand still long enough to get a photo of him on the mountain, but trust me he is all over it! Today Eli is trying the tow rope hill without the leash, I hope it is a success and his confidence grows a bit.
As we left the house this morning, much of the ground was still covered with a fresh 2-4" of snow from yesterday and it is beautiful. One if the things I missed while we were in Cali was the Winter and all things that come with it. The cold, the snow, the beautiful blue skies against the crisp white snow, and the bare trees. With the change of the Winter season also comes a period of gathering, coming inward to quiet the mind, reflecting on life, and slowing down a bit. It is a time when you don't feel bad for slowing down and closing the blinds with the early darkness. It also makes you appreciate the newness of Spring and the warmth of the Summer just a little bit more. I will be honest, by the end of February I'm certain I will have some Winter blues, but it will just make the onset of Spring just a little bit sweeter.
Driving up the Provo Canyon this morning I could not help but feel so grateful for where we live right now and my Father in Heaven and his creations. He created places like this for our joy and our happiness. This canyon gives my family an opportunity for wholesome family recreation and to reflect on the beauty that surrounds us. I could not stop for a picture, but the snow covered mountains, the trees with the smallest hint of green poking out, and the bright blue sky was breath-taking and made my heart feel so full. Today I am grateful for the joy and wonder in my life.
I hope the the snow keeps coming and I have many more Saturdays spent sitting in the Creekside Cafe reflecting on the beauty of my life. Next year Daddy will have to share the mountain time so I can get in on the action.

No comments:
Post a Comment